Friday, September 9, 2011

Thirty & Thinking! : Will you still need me, when am Sixty-Four?

Not too old to question, not too young to answer. Not too young to be married, not too old to love! Not too young to be serious, not too old to laugh!!
Thirty is, undeniably a turning point. A point where all young age confusions end and the old life crisis have not yet begin. Yes, there is this weird upcoming concept of 30+ or mid-life crisis. But why kill the beauty of this beautiful thirtieth birthday!
Looking around, seeing everyone treating me on different scales of life, based on the relationship we share, is amusing!
That beautiful statue of the Divine, that loving Krishna, whom I have always held in my hands, or have always wanted to be held by Him in His hands. As a child, I thought he was my sibling; as an adolescent a friend, I saw him as a lover and as an adult, He looks like a child to me. To him, every birthday, I send every year my wish lists. From cycles and frocks as a child to Porsche and Lamborguines, the wish list is increasingly both in value and volume. But my sweet Lord, every year, looks with the same intent, passion and love into my eyes and says that He will always provide me with what I need the most, rather then what I want the most.
Ma & Pa calling early morning, wishing the thirtieth birthday, as though it was matter of fact ‘only the third’, made me feel so small. ‘You know, when you were born, your dad scattered away all the salary as tips to the staff at the hospital! You know when, your pa said, you are his dream, that you are Indira Gandhi!’ And also those same words, same tone, same endless love that I have heard from those lovely parents each every year on this day.
And then the friends, who still believe in the eternal existence of college days! ‘You know how we celebrated your 16th, 18th, 21st birthday.’ Alas, as if it was only last year!
But I was worried about my hubby dear. He has for over sixteen years made me feel like sixteen and the only birthday I remember celebrating was when I turned sixteen, the rest are like some memories! So when he lovingly wished me the birthday, the only question that still lingered in my eyes was, ‘Will you still need me when I am sixty-four?’ or should I have asked, ‘Will you still make me feel 16, when I am 64?’

No comments: