Monday, November 7, 2011

The Indian (I)nglishh! Eer!

Italian MTV on a warm sunny Sunday siesta springed me with a surprise! There was a group of Italian guys, joie de vivre as they are, on a visit to India. Quite amusing to see my country from a foreign lens. It got me interested.

In Europe, Italians in a sense are the closest to Indians, culturally speaking. Yet, there are diversities. But of course, differences meant to be celebrated, so said Stephen Covey. So I started watching the programme.

Understanding and having lived in and deeply in love with both the countries, I could well appreciate the humour and take on the Indian culture! So like the Italian man who went to Malta, there is this humour in how we Indians speak English.

Water is not a slight touch on the tongue like W-A-T-E-R for an Englishman(or woman). It is like V-A-T-U-R-R-r-r!!!!!! And so is ‘hello, how are you?’ .. Its like ‘H-H-H-A-L-U-U hoooowww arrre yoooou?’. Absolutely no problem, after all these are benevolent Indian contributions to English phonetics!!

I am reminded of a humourist, who once wittingly impersonated his Indian counterpart immigrant at the British check-in counter giving a small interview for Border check. When confronted with the situation to introduce himself in his beloved English language, he confidently described his Indian background and reasons to visit England in English. The immigration officer, unable to understand, requested him to repeat and then re-repeat in English. This went on for about 5-6 times. Exasperated, the Englishman suggested, ‘Gentleman, Can you p-l-e-a-s-e, speak in English.’

Astonished, my countryman, replied to the Englishman, ‘S-S-I-Rrrrrr ji, I do NAT now, wat languaage you arrrre taulkingh in, bbuuuttt I speaaakkk ONNNNLYYYY E-N-G-G-G-LISSSSHhhhhh!’

No comments: