Being Japanese … precise, pristine, poised and yes, very polite! Japan is a beautiful culture with its courteous but reticent people. My introduction to Japan was ‘Oshin’, a Japanese television serial about a petite, delicate young Japanese girl called ‘Oshin’. What is in a name?! Well all is defined in a name. ‘Oshin’, means flower, love and heavenly. And presenting the modest, but attractively dressed Oshin in exquisite Kimono, the serial dubbed in Hindi became a household Indian name. The culture fascinated the little me and millions of Oshin-struck viewers across India who watched the little ‘Oshin’ grow up, fighting everyday with the struggle called life. Her simple but elaborate Kimono was fascinating enough, even for the culturally-rich, profoundly saree-clad, jewellery bearing Indian women. I grew up & I forget the fragile Oshin, but the impressions remained.
A fortuitous encounter with a charming forever young, Japanese friend was my re-introduction to the little Oshin. Blissfully, as we grew closer, my sweet Kayo, helped me appreciate the ornate Japanese customs in all its nobility. And when she suggested if we should spend a day like the Japanese.. dressed in kimono, following all the elaborate customs and enjoying the Japanese tea and cuisine, the proposal was too tempting. The idea of being one with a culture so mystifying because of its perfection, yet so simplifying for its politeness, was simply irresistible!
And the appointed day arrived.
I stood like a mannequin. And as my very patient friend, dressed me up in the elaborate kimono, I could not wait to see myself in the mirror. We dressed up in a special form of ‘Kimono’ called ‘Yukata’. The unpretentious Yukata in pristine white required special skills to carry, which I realized quickly. Everytime I tried walking with my brisk footsteps, the elegantly tied up ‘Yukata’ got completely dis-organized. The forever patient Kayo unwearyingly explained, it is not simply about wearing Japanese, it is about feeling the culture, walking tenderly, expressing politeness in your footsteps and mannerisms and emitting the gentle energy. It was difficult to begin with! But imitating Kayo, made it easy!! What followed was an ordinary day becoming extraordinary…. an effortless transformation into a delightful culture which I felt so much one with.
Thanks Kayo…for you recreated the magic called Oshin! You will always be enormously treasured, incredibly special….
3 comments:
Nice sister. Seems you have matured as a writer. Couldn't appreciate the subtle beauty of the expression POISED used by you. But still, very gripping. . . .reminded me too of OSHIN. Lovely piece!
Dhanyavaad! Humbling to hear from you...
Post a Comment